Workers in the construction industry are often exposed to dangerous situations because of the nature of their work. They are prone to accidents and injuries, but they need to continue their tasks to accomplish projects for your company. Thus, as a business owner, you are responsible for ensuring they remain safe and healthy while busy with their daily tasks. To achieve this, you need to implement the right strategies to build a healthy work environment for your team.
Prioritising Employees’ Welfare: Key to Business Success
Some business owners, especially those who are part of the construction industry, believe they need to focus more on securing clients. They think that as long as they attract more customers, they will continue generating more sales and revenue for their company. Indeed, doing this can benefit your business. However, it would help to remind yourself that achieving any business goal may be nearly impossible without your staff. Thus, you need to ensure that you put their health and safety above all else. Here are some benefits of doing so:
- Reduce absenteeism rate—Protecting your team’s health and safety will reduce the need for sick leaves. With this, you can expect that projects and other tasks will be accomplished without delay. If you continue encouraging workers to prioritise their health and safety, they can protect their health and ensure that they remain safe while working.
- Boost brand reputation—Taking care of your employees also improves your brand’s reputation. Customers and investors will also feel impressed about how you are handling your responsibilities as a business owner. With this, your business will gain more attention, which can eventually lead to more clients and improved revenue.
- Retain skilled and talented workers—Your employees will appreciate that you are making them a priority. They will continue feeling grateful that they are part of your team. With this, they will feel more encouraged to stay and continue working with your company. Thus, you need to ensure that you continue providing them with proper compensation and a healthy work environment.
- Continue delivering high-quality services—Building a healthy workplace culture where you prioritise your employees will also help them feel motivated to do their job. With this, you can expect that they will feel inspired to provide high-quality services not just for the company but also to clients.
Effective Strategies to Safeguard Your Workforce
Designing a strategy to safeguard your workforce is essential, especially if you receive lots of projects from clients. It would be best if you keep your staff, especially those who work at the construction sites, safe at all times. This is crucial, especially now that there is the threat of the COVID-19 disease. The following can help you ensure they remain safe while performing their tasks:
- Provide free COVID-19 testing—Ensure that your staff undergoes swab testing and that their results are negative from the COVID-19 disease. It would be your responsibility to ensure that no one’s health will be compromised amidst the pandemic.
- Reduce the number of staff you allow in the workplace—Consider having a scheduling program so your workplace won’t be crowded. Ensure that you only have enough number of staff on site. For office employees, find out if you can allow them to work from home. This way, you can limit face to face interactions in the workplace.
- Look for reliable suppliers of safety workwear—Provide safety workwear for your employees, especially for your construction workers. Check if there are reliable suppliers for disposable face masks for construction workers. You can also check for companies offering PPEs, face shields, hard hats, and other safety work outfits.
- Ensure tools and equipment are properly sanitised—Train your team to follow health protocols at all times. Ensure that they always wash their hands and that they avoid touching everything in the workplace. If you can, allow your workers to have their own set of tools and equipment. If not, ensure that everything is properly sanitised before other people use them.
Protecting your employee’s safety will definitely help your business survive, especially now that companies are shutting down because of the virus. Now, more than ever, you need to be strict about implementing health and safety protocols in the workplace. You can follow the tips mentioned above so you can ensure that everyone, including your employees and customers, remains safe amidst the pandemic. Make sure that you continue prioritising your team’s welfare even after the pandemic. This way, you can continue attracting skilled workers. At the same time, you can retain your positive reputation among customers.